A new personal project!

During this past year, in school, instructors strongly suggested we find ways to keep photographing and stay fresh, in between jobs. One of the suggestions is a personal project. My idea for a project came a short time ago, and I'm quite excited about it!
Living in Boston for the past three years, I've had the fortune to explore the neighborhoods, read about and meet some very interesting people. People who are, either through a choice or natural progression, living in a way that is slower, simpler, and in their own way, contributing to making this city better to reside in. Urban living has been undergoing some positive changes, especially here and while the ideas behind this project aren't original,  I'm looking forward to meeting folks of all kinds who by their very ways of life, are a part of this change. And with that, let me introduce you to Beverly Strain!


Beverley has lived in Boston for ten years, and over the past year has become an advocate for alternative means of transport. She began biking, just for recreation, a few years ago, but, after attending various bike meets, and reading blogs, became a volunteer for Livable Streets and Boston Cyclists' Union. Both organizations work to improve the safety of not only cyclists, but motorists' and pedestrians alike. Strain believes that riding bikes as a primary form of transportation can greatly improve the quality of life in any city that has a strong bike program-as we do here. She feels riders are more likely to support small, local businesses, shop at local farmers markets, and that in itself, fosters a stronger community. Bev enjoys talking to people about biking in general, and her enthusiasm is infectious! You see, I am her roommate, and after two years of living with here, and being educated about biking by her, my butt finally got back on a bike after over a decade (shame on me!). She has taken me on two great organized rides through Boston, and those rides have reawakened my love for biking. It's been a great way to see the city too, because you're not underground on trains or whizzing by it in a car, and just the riding itself reinvigorates me and makes me never want to own a car again (which I'm taking care of as I write this).
Boston is currently having a race for a new mayor, and naturally, alternative transportation is a concern for Bev and I. Our hope is that the new mayor will do even more to make bike lane improvements/expansions, and to take biking as a serious form of transportation. It should be interesting! So, thank you Bev, for educating this lady about biking and for giving me the (subtle) kick I needed to add zest to my life-bike style!
P.S. Here's Bev with her vintage Peugeot mixte she's currently restoring!

Listening to: Vaccines, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Wilco, Radiohead
Reading: "Love is a Mixtape," by Rob Sheffield; various news and blogs

Comments

Popular Posts