Doing what I have to do until I can do what I'm meant to do


Like a lot of creative people, out of financial necessity, I have a day job. Yes, I do devote more hours to that day job than I want to, but, I have to. And lately, I feel as if my day job is taking over. More often than not, I'm pretty tired when I get home when what I really want to , and should be doing, is photographing. Not that I'm ungrateful for this job, but I can't let it define me. I can't let it take over my mind and body and drag me away from what it is that I truly do, and what I am. I'm a photographer. I'm a writer. Nothing gives me greater satisfaction and confidence than styling, setting up, taking and editing images. Nothing gives me greater peace than being able to put my thoughts down in words, even when they don't come easily. But, I'm am not yet able to only do both of those things for my living-(that day will come though!) for the time being, I'm doing what I must to do what I want! The education that gave me the ability to take images like the one above, comes at a (steep) price, and I wouldn't change it. The desire to live out the life I've started building is so great, it excites me. Yes, I get down. Yes, I'm restless, homesick. Yes, I get frustrated. But, that desire, and the knowledge that I can create images like this, and work to make better ones, drives me. Pushes me. Yes, I've been chosen by a very competitive, not very lucrative field, but I can't be anything else! I've tried and it isn't me. By day, I do other work. But, I'm a photographer. I'm a writer. That is what defines me.
Thank you for reading, and to paraphrase Garrison Keilor
Be kind
Take cake of each other
Do good Work!

Comments

Popular Posts