Sage Advice

Back in June, my classmates and I were able to meet, and have our work viewed by, gallery owners, art directors, and a few of Boston's top photographers. One of the photographers present was Jim Scherer. I looked at his work quite a bit as inspiration for lighting, styling etc., and his work is beautiful, natural. And in looking at my photos, while he said they were good, he also stated they looked too " stylized and perfect." He singled out a photo of some Chocolate Lava Cakes, and asked me to re-do it using natural light, and to "make it more messy, less perfect. It doesn't always have to look perfect." "Will you do that for me?" he asked. I haven't forgotten his advice, and today, I finally did what he suggested, the only difference is the cakes-mini bundt cakes were used instead! It was fun to spend a good amount of time doing this small thing, and reminded me why I enjoy photographing food (and photographing period!). So, thank you very much Jim!




Comments

Popular Posts