What A Difference A Year Makes

Well, It's been far too long, nearly a year, since my last blog post. Can I still call myself a blogger? Perhaps....but, I figured I'd write something on here since the guilt of not doing it has been on my mind. So...what's been going on in my world? A LOT of internal work. It's been over as year now being sober, so that's important, as is the work and choices I make daily to stay sober. I've been engaged since over the summer in addressing and taking action to dismantle my own white supremacy. Doing this in tandem with being sober has caused major shifts internally, while the emotional rollercoaster can be hard, I welcome the glorious upheaval that is occurring, and will continue to occur, as I also do this work daily. There's so much to say on this subject, like the how's and why's of it, that I'll leave it to another post.
I am still photographing but, I'm calling myself an outright artist now too. Photography is a legitimate art! But, I do still hold a day job as a cook in order to live and pay bills. While I know that someday I will make a living only taking pictures and writing ( I refuse to give up on that), I've also welcomed the part of me that loves food, cooking and being a cook. I'm working on a couple of projects, but, I can't help but wonder if the two can be one. Being of the school of "why not?" I'm currently working on just that. I have no idea what the end result will be, as I'm used to controlling the outcome of things, I'm letting the work 'tell' me what it wants to be. The writing muse has been working her magic too. A lot of prose is being written these days too, and I want some of them to be accompanied by an art piece. The art is coming more slowly, but, that's fine.
This past year has been dedicated to introspection, which has only benefitted me, I'm ready now to take action. My confidence is returning, as is my purpose here as a human and artist, which I was lacking. I have no idea how or where things/life will take me, but, I now have the faith and trust to guide me into the mysterious land known as the future. I'm excited, just like I was a year ago, but, now I feel more dedicated to art and making art, and sharing things on here too.
Welcome October, Autumn and thank you for reading!

Listening to: Bastille, 80's Hair Metal, Frank Ocean, Nina Simone, Janelle Monae and Solange
Currently Reading: "Freedom Is A Constant Struggle," by Angela Davis and
"Eleanor Oliphant Is Just Fine," by Gail Honeyman
And re reading: "Emergent Strategy" by Adrienne Marie Brown

Comments

Popular Posts