A Nod to a friend, and what I've been up to Part 2

This past Spring, my very dear friend Gina approached me to work with her on a project that she really wanted to do- a cookbook! My friend is both Vegan and Celiac and wanted the focus to be on entertaining with themed menus. Her hope is that people who have to/choose to eat in this way will see that they can entertain, host parties and create fun, delicious meals with ease. And she is a pro at entertaining! Many times has she hosted myself and our other close friends, and the food is always amazing, so its no surprise that a cookbook would be on the horizon for her. We've had a couple of tasting meetings so far, lucky me, and its been great fun. But, one thing she really wanted to do also, was a blog, but, wasn't sure how to go about it, claiming she wasn't a writer/funny enough, you know, the usual nerves that accompany a new undertaking. I advised her to do it, and to be herself, as she has a lot to share and is passionate about her interests. Go visit her blog-ginasgfreevegankitchen.wordpress.com. She's been having a lot of fun making fresh sauces with tomatoes from her garden and homemade ice cream too! And whats more, she was just nominated for the Black Cat Blue Sea Award from another blogger, and in turn nominated this blog right here-mine- and others for the award too! The blogging community is a nice one isn't it? She posted three questions to us nominees and here are the questions and answers:

1) If you could go back in time to a particular era, which one and why?
I would go back to the period around the turn of the Twentieth Century. While there hardship, there a large amount of innovation being done in terms of industry, social issues (Suffragism comes to mind), photography was really taking off and some really great literature was being created then too. I think it must've been exciting to see all the possibilities that a new century would bring!

2) What is your favorite guilty pleasure food?
For the record, food isn't something I feel guilty about. I thoroughly enjoy food (and drink), shopping, cooking and eating, all of it! And I'm spoiled by the fact that Boston/Cambridge is rich with great places to eat. While I don't eat out much (budget), when I do, I love to eat oysters. Very contradictory to my friends Vegan cookbook, yes, but I love them. I don't eat oysters that often, so when I do, it really is a treat for me!

3) Who is your biggest inspiration?
I only need to look at my family for that-my sister, Mother, and my late Grandmother. My sister is special needs, and when you grow up with a sibling that society deems "different," you appreciate them. Every thing is a victory-the first words, going to school, doing things for themselves-and that makes her one of my greatest teachers. She tests patience, she's stubborn, but...she's also a hard worker, an amazing athlete and funny as hell! And its been a pleasure to watch her grow into a woman.My Mom, theres so much I could say, so brevity will difficult, but she is simply AMAZING! The most supportive, hard working, loving woman. We are the luckiest daughters to have learned from her quiet strength, grace and humility! Which leads to, my Grandma. She was the glue for our family. Irish to the core, hard working well into her seventies, heart-strong and hilarious, she made everyone feel welcome and loved. I always felt safe and comfortable in her house and I always use her as a gage-"What would Gram think of me/this now?" If I end being half the woman she was, then I'll be fine.

Well, that's it. Gina, thank you for the nod, you are the kindest soul, and I hope your blog is recognized! And....thank you for the kick in the butt to pay attention to my own blogs...you've inspired me!
Thank you for reading!

Comments

Popular Posts